"A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent."
John Calvin (1509-64)

Friday, May 08, 2009

The Benefits of being UNITED with Christ.

-John Irenicus

Our union with our Jesus Christ has certain benefits for our lives as Christians. First and foremost, we are now justified (accounted righteous) before God. Paul said,
  • "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus...." Rom. 8:1 (KJV)
Because we are judicially united with Christ, we now have a right standing in the face of the law and in God's sight. We are now considered as righteous as God's own Son, Jesus Christ.

Second, in Christ strength, now we live. Paul wrote,
  • "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Php. 4:13 (KJV)
  • "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Gal 2:20 (KJV)
When Paul struggled with his "thorn in the flesh" (perhaps a physical ailment), he found that although it was not removed, God gave him sufficient grace to bear it. Thus said the apostle,
  • "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 Cor. 12:9 (KJV)
This power of Christ is not found merely in the inspiration of his example and in his teaching. He also gives us concrete help that we might fulfill what he expects us.

Moreover, union with Christ also means that we will share in his suffering. The disciples were told that they would drink the cup that Jesus drank, and be baptized with the same baptism as he had (Mar. 10:39). If tradition correctly serves us, most of them suffered a martyr's death. After all, Jesus had already told them not to be surprised if they encountered persecution:
  • "Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also." Jn. 15:20 (KJV)
Paul never shrink from this prospect; for sure, to share Christ's sufferings was one of his goal. Paul wrote,
  • "Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death..." Php. 3:8-10 (KJV)
Peter, on the other hand, urged his fellow Christians,
  • "But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy." 1 Pet. 4:13 (KJV)
Suffering and trial may not be beneficial for us the moment it took place; but the old saying "there is a rainbow after every storm" is equally true in Christianity. Overcoming trials and sufferings for the sake of Christ actually brings us unexplainable joy.

Last but not the least of the benefits we have in being united with Christ is that we also have an assurance of reigning with him. The two disciples who asked for positions of authority and prestige were instead promised suffering (Mark 10:35-39); but Jesus also told the entire group that because they had persevered with him in his trials, they would eat and drink at his table in his glorious kingdom (Luk. 22:30). Paul made a similar statement:
  • "If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us." 2 Tim. 2:12 (KJV)
Although even after we are saved we often experience trials and suffering, we are given resources to bear them. God's Holy Spirit helps us in our weaknesses (Rom. 8:26). God also provides us the way out to overcome every trial (1 Cor. 10:13). And for those who suffer with Christ, a glorious FUTURE lies ahead.

We should, therefore, remain united in Christ to the end by faith.
  • "YOU NEED TO PERSEVERE so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised." Heb. 10:36 (NIV)
To God alone be the glory. Amen!

_____________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!